Akutan (ACK-oo-tan) (Achan-ingiiga in Aleut) is a city on Akutan Island in the Aleutians East Borough of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, United States. The population was 1,027 at the 2010 census, up from 713 in 2000. Akutan Harbor is adjacent.
Akutan is located at 54°7′57″N 165°46′30″W / 54.13250°N 165.77500°W / 54.13250; -165.77500. Akutan is located in the Aleutian Islands Recording District.
Akutan is located on Akutan Island in the eastern Aleutians, one of the Krenitzin Islands in the Fox Islands group. It is 35 miles (56 km) east of Unalaska, and 766 miles (1,233 km) southwest of Anchorage. Akutan lies in the maritime climate zone, resulting in mild winters and cool summers. Mean temperatures range from 22 to 55 °F (−6 to 13 °C), and precipitation averages 28 inches (710 mm) per year. High winds and storms are frequent in the winter, and fog is common in the summer.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 18.9 square miles (49 km), of which, 14.0 square miles (36 km) of it is land and 4.9 square miles (13 km) of it (25.69%) is water.
Akutan first appeared on the 1880 U.S. Census as an unincorporated Aleut village. It reported 65 residents, of which 63 were Aleut and 2 were White. In 1890, it reported 80 residents, of which 71 were Native, 6 were Creole (Mixed Russian & Native) and 3 were White. It did not appear again until the 1920 census. It formally incorporated in 1979. Beginning in 1990, it reported an Asian plurality of residents. It is one of only three communities in Alaska as of 2010 to have either an Asian plurality (Kodiak) or majority (Adak).
As of the census of 2000, there were 713 people, 34 households, and 17 families residing in the city. The population density was 50.8 people per square mile (19.6/km²). There were 38 housing units at an average density of 2.7 per square mile (1.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 23.56% White, 2.10% Black or African American, 15.71% Native American, 38.57% Asian, 0.28% Pacific Islander, 18.23% from other races, and 1.54% from two or more races. 20.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 34 households out of which 20.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 32.4% were married couples living together, 14.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 47.1% were non-families. 38.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city, the age distribution of the population shows 3.1% under the age of 18, 11.1% from 18 to 24, 48.2% from 25 to 44, 36.2% from 45 to 64, and 1.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 334.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 342.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,750, and the median income for a family was $43,125. Males had a median income of $13,988 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,258. None of the families and 45.5% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 40.0% of those over 64.
During the 2000 U.S. Census, total housing units numbered 38, and vacant housing units numbered 4. It showed 97 residents as employed. The unemployment rate at that time was 83.89 percent, although 84.84 percent of all adults were not in the work force.